Dalhousie University, Halifax, N.S., B3H 3J5
B.Sc. (Animal Biology), 1975, University of Calgary.
B.Sc. (Statistics), 1979, University of Calgary.
M.Sc. (Statistics), 1982, University of Calgary. Thesis title: Random properties of sea ice
Ph.D. (Biostatistics) 1988, University of California (Berkeley). Thesis title: The neurophysiological quantal hypothesis.
1. Professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Dalhousie University, July,
2. Associate professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Dalhousie Univer-
3. Assistant professor, Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Computing Science,
Dalhousie University. July,1988 - May, 1996.
4. Assistant professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Vic-
5. Post-doctoral fellow, Department of Statistics, University of Toronto. January,1988
6. Part time sessional lecturer, Department of Computing Science, University of Cal-
7. Statistical consultant, Department of Academic Computing Services, University of
Calgary. November, 1978 - June,1984.
Research ContributionsIn referreed journals
1. Xie, C., Singh, R.S., Smith, B. and Lu, X. (2005) Generalized separation theo-
rems for singular values of a matrix and their applications in canonical correlationanalysis. Probability and Mathematical Statistics, to appear.
2. Qin, Y.S. and Smith, B. (2005) The likelihood ratio test for homogeneity in bivariate
normal mixtures. J. Multivar. Anal., to appear.
3. Smith, B. (2004) Sealevel characteristics in the Bay of Fundy/Gulf of Maine. Envi-
4. Qin, Y.S. and Smith, B. (2004) The likelihood ratio test for homogeneity in normal
mixtures in the presence of a structural parameter. Stat. Sinica, 14, 1165-1177.
5. Langley, J.M., Halperin, S.A., Boucher, F.D. and Smith, B. (2004) Azithromycin is
as effective as and better tolerated then erythromycin estolate for the treatment ofperussis. Pediatrics, 114, 96-101.
6. Butler, K., Field, C., Herbinger, C.M. and Smith, B. (2004) Accuracy, efficiency and
robustness of four algorithms allowing full sibship reconstruction from DNA markerdata. Molec. Ecol., 13 (6), 1589-1600.
7. Halperin, S.A., Smith, B., Nolan, C., Shay, J. and Kralovec, J. (2003) Safety and
immunoenhancing effect of a Chlorella-derived dietary supplement in healthy adultsundergoing influenza vaccination: randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Can. Med. Assoc. J., 169, 111-117.
8. Mikelova, L.K., Halperin, S.A, Scheifele, D., Smith, B. Ford-Jones, E., Vaudry, W.,
Jadavi, T., Law, B. Moore, D. (2003) Predictors of death in infants hospitalizedwith pertussis: a case-control study of 16 pertussis deaths in Canada. Journal ofPediatrics, 143, 576-581.
9. Speers, R.A, Rogers, P. and Smith, B. (2003) Non-linear modelling of industrial
brewing fermentations. J. Inst. Brewing, 109, 229-235.
10. Langley, J.M., LeBlanc, J.C.C., Wang, E.E.L., and Smith, B. (2003) Increasing inci-
dence of hospitalization for bronchiolitis in Canadian children 1980-97. J. InfectiousDiseases, 188, 1764-1767.
11. Sinha, S.K., Field, C.A. and Smith, B. (2003) Robust estimation of nonlinear re-
gression with autogressive errors. Stat. Prob. Lett., 63, 49-59.
12. Langley, J.M., Halperin, S.A., and Smith, B. (2003) A pilot study to quantify
parental anxiety associated with enrollment of an infant and toddler immunizationin a phase III vaccine trial. Vaccine, 21, 3863-3866.
13. Halperin, S.A., Scheifele, D., Mills, E., Guasparini, R., Humphreys, G., Barreto,
L, and Smith, B. (2003) Nature, evolution, and appraisal of adverse events andantibody response associated with the fifth consecutive dose of a five componentacellular pertussis-based combination vaccine. Vaccine 21 2298-2306.
14. Halperin, S.A., van Nest, G., Smith, B., Abtahi, S., Wiley, H. and Eiden, J.J.
(2003) A phase I study of the safety and immunogenicity of recombinant hepatitisB surface antigen co-administered with and immunostimulatory phosphorothioateoligonucleotide adjuvant. Vaccine 21, 2461-2467.
15. Halperin, B.A., Halperin, S.A., McGrath, P., Smith, B., and Houston, T. (2002) Use
of lidocaine-prilocaine patch to decrease intramuscular injection pain does not ad-versely affect the antibody response to diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis-inactivatedpoliovirus-Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate and hepatitis B vaccines in in-fants from birth to six months of age. Pediatr. Infec. Dis. J. 21, 399-405.
16. Halperin, S.A., McDonald, J., Samson, L, Danzig, L, Santos, G., Izu, A., Smith,
B., and MacDonald, N. (2002) Simultaneous administration of meningococcal Cconjugate vaccine and diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis-inactivated poliovirus-Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine in children: a randomized double-blind study. Clin. Invest. Med. 25, 243-251.
17. Halperin, S.A., Smith, B., Mabouk, T. Germain, M, Trepanier, P, Hassell, T.,
Treanor, J, Gauthier, R., and Mills, E.L. (2002) Safety and immunogenicity of atrivalent, inactivated, mammalian cell culture-derived influenza vaccine in healthadults, seniors, and children. Vaccine, 20, 1240-1247.
18. Smith, B., Herbinger, C. and Merry, H.R. (2001) Accurate partition of individuals
into full sib families from genetic data without parental information. Genetics, 158,1329-1338.
19. Thompson, K.,R., Dowd, M.G., Lu, Y. and Smith, B. (2000) Oceanographic Data
Assimilation and Regression Analysis. EnvironMetrics 10, 183-196.
20. Miyaoka, E., Kajikawa, M. and Smith, B. (2000) Analysis of binary cross-over data
with generalized linear transition models. Journal of the Japan Statistical Society,30, 17-26.
21. Halperin SA, Smith B, Russell M, Hasselback P, Guasparini R, Skowronski D, Meek-
ison W, Parker R, Lavigne P and Barreto L. (2000) An adult formulation of a five-component acellular pertussis vaccine combined with diphtheria and tetanus toxoidsis safe and immunogenic in adolescents and adults. Vaccine 18, 1312-1319.
22. Halperin SA, McGrath P, Smith B, Houston T. (2000) Lidocaine-prilocaine patch
decreases the pain associated with the subcutaneous administration of measles-mumps-rubella vaccine but does not adversely affect the antibody response. J. Pediatr., 136, (6), 789-794.
23. Halperin SA, Smith B, Russell M, Scheifele D, Mills E, Hasselback P, Pim C, Meek-
ison W, Parker R, Lavigne P, and Barreto L. (2000) An adult formulation of afive-component acellular pertussis vaccine combined with diphtheria and tetanustoxoids and inactivated poliovirus vaccine is safe and immunogenic in adolescentsand adults. Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 19, 276-283.
24. Smith, B. and Miyaoka, E. (1999) Frequency domain identification of harbour se-
25. X. Z. Yuan, B. Smith and S. Lou (1998) Fixed point and coincidence theorems for
set-valued mappings in topological vector spaces with some applications. NonlinearAnalysis, 32 2, 133-149.
26. Wirrell, E.C., Camfield, C., Camfield, P., Dooley, J., Gordon, K. and Smith, B.
(1997) Long-term psychosocial outcome in typical absence arthritis. Arch. Pediatr. Adolesc. Med., 151, 152-158.
27. Clements, J.C. and Smith, B.R. (1996) Numerical modeling of the excitatory post-
synaptic current at the crayfish neuromuscular junction.
28. Islam, M.N., O’Shaughnessy, C.D., Smith, B. (1996) A random graph model for the
final-size distribution of household infections. Stat. in Med., 15, 837-843.
29. Camfield, P., Gordon, K., Camfield, C., Tibbles, J., Dooley, J. and Smith, B. (1995)
Results are rarely the same if repeated within 6 months in childhood epilepsy. Can. J. Neurol. Sci. 22, number 4, 297-300.
30. Field, C. and Smith, B. (1994) Robust estimation - a weighted maximum likelihood
approach. Bull. Int. Stat. Rev., 62, number 3, 405-424.
31. Smith, B. and Field, C. (1993) Variance estimation for quadratic statistics. J. Time.
32. Smith, B. (1993) Mixture estimation and the neurophysiological quantal hypothesis.
33. Camfield, C., Camfield, P., Gordon, K., Smith, B., and Dooley, J. (1993) Outcome
of childhood epilepsy: a population-based study with a simple predictive scoringsystem for those treated with medication. Journal of Pediatrics, 122, 861-868.
34. Camfield, C., Camfield, P., Smith, B., Gordon, K., and Dooley, J. (1993) Biologic
factors as predictors of social outcome of epilepsy in intellectually normal children:a population-based study. Journal of Pediatrics, 122, 869-873.
35. Smith, B.R., Wojtowicz, J.M. and Atwood, H.L. (1991) Maximum likelihood estima-
tion of non-uniform transmitter release probabilities at the crayfish neuromuscularjunction. J. Theoret. Biol. 150, 457-472.
36. De Braekeleer, M., and Smith, B.R. (1988) Two methods for measuring the non-
randomness of chromosome abnormalities. Ann. Hum. Genet. 52, 63-67.
37. Bruvold, W., and Smith, B.R. (1988) Developing and assessing a model of residential
water conservation. Water Res. B. 24, 661-669.
38. De Braekeleer, M., Smith, B.R., and Lin, C.C. (1985) Fragile sites and structural
rearrangements in cancer. Human Genetics 69, 112-116.
39. Enns, E.G., Smith, B.R., and Ehlers, P.F. (1984) Hitting spheres with straight-line
motion or Brownian motion. J. Appl. Prob. 21, 70-79.
40. Enns, E.G., and Smith, B.R. (1984) Optimal platform strength in the presence of
moving ice. Ocean Engineering 11, 239-244.
38. Smith, B. and Field, C. (2001) Symbolic cumulant calculations for frequency domain
time series. Statistics and Computing 11, 435-442.
39. Wojtowicz, J.M., Smith, B.R., and Atwood, H.L. (1991) Activity-dependent recruit-
ment of silent synapses. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 627, 169-179.
40. Field, C., and Smith, B. (2002) Discussion of the evaluation of a candidate genetic
locus in a genome scan of complex disease. Can. J. Stat. 30, 167-169.
Qin, Y.S. and Smith, B. The likelihood ratio test for homogeneity in bivariate normalmixtures. revision submitted to J. Mult. Anal.
1. Smith, B. Exceedance Point Processes, with Application to Estimation of Extreme
Sea Levels. Fields Institute workshop on ”The Point of Point Processes”, Universityof Ottawa, February, 2004.
2. Smith, B. Changing tides in the Bay of Fundy/Gulf of Maine. RSS/IMS Joint
3. Smith, B. Symbolic computation for frequency domain time series. IMS/ASA Joint
4. Smith, B. and Field, C. Symbolic computation for frequency domain time series.
CRM workshop on symbolic computation, Montreal, 1997.
5. Smith, B. Frequency domain analysis of harbour seiches. CRM workshop on Time
6. Smith, B. Frequency domain analysis of harbour seiches. CRM workshop on Time
Series Analysis, SSC Conference, Regina, 1999.
7. Smith, B. Robust frequency domain estimation, SSC conference, Fredericton, 1997.
Prof. Y.Qin of the University of Guangxi worked with me as a Mitacs PDF from July
1. Director of the Division of Statistics (July 2001 - present)
2. Statistics Graduate Co-Ordinator (Sept 1995- June 2001)
3. NSERC Grant Selection Committee 14 (Statistical Sciences), member 2001-2003.
4. Associate Editor, Canadian Journal of Statistics, 1994-1997, 2004-2006.
5. Atlantic Association for Research in the Mathematical Sciences, member of Scientific
6. Atlantic Association for Research in the Mathematical Sciences, board member
7. Canadian Journal of Statistics Awards Committee, member 1995-1997.
1. Program Chair, Statistical Society of Canada Annual Meeting, Hamilton, June,
2. Joint organizer of workshop entitled “Point Processes - Theory and Applications”,
Banff International Research Center, June, 2003.
3. Organized invited, contributed and data analysis sessions at several annual SSC
Other ServiceGrant reviewer for NSERC, FCAR, NSF. Reviewer for CJS, JASA, Annals of Statis-
tics, J.Multivariate Analysis, Molecular Ecology, American Statistician, Can.J.Fisheriesand Aquatic Sciences, Communications in Statistics.
NEWS RELEASE Mobile County Health Department Aug. 20, 2009 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: David Mann, Public Information Officer, 690-8823, [email protected] Testing for H1N1 influenza unnecessary in most cases An Aug. 19 update on novel H1N1 influenza (swine flu) issued by Dr. Don Williamson, State Health Officer, included the following information:
Restoring wisdom, sacredness, balance & joy Community What’s On – Events and Workshops, September 2012 Event & Contact Date and Time Antizac – how refusing Prozac changed my life, Divine Light $20 prepaid September Pat will share the miracles that happen when 10.30am – depression does not rule and the seven keys to staying positive in the fac